Sony drops the Zutons for bugger knows why?


I'm not a fan of the Zutons but they're far from the worst thing that I've ever heard and they've a few good tunes but I was pretty surprised to find today that they've been dropped by Sony BMG for the failure of one solitary single. "Whats your Problem", the last single by the band failed to chart causing Sony to make the decision they did.

Now although I did think for as long as the song has been getting airplay that its one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever heard, I still think this might be a serious overreaction on Sony's part and even more indicative of the music business being just a processing line (not that I had any grand delusions about that). Poor bastards. One bland piece of shit song and they get bumped after having that song "Valerie" be hugely popular in either their version or scumbag Winehouses version.

Click on the read more to hear the song that dropped them and the poor as fuck video that accompanies it.



The Zutons "Whats your Problem"

Stumble Delicious Technorati Twitter Facebook

4 comments:

January 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM Leigh O'Gorman said...

They were unlucky in a sense.

Sony must have really believed that they would score an instant success after Amy Winehouse's job on "Valerie" last year.

The sad thing is the album reached No 6 in the UK charts - for a band such as the Zuton's, that's not bad at all and only just behind what their second album did!!

January 15, 2009 at 12:37 AM Anonymous said...

Here's how Al Jourgensen of Ministry explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pet-WuFRjzg

January 15, 2009 at 4:41 AM theneedledrop said...

They're a fairly well-known band with a fanbase. I think there will be plenty of independent labels willing to pick them up.

January 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM Evil Bob said...

Oh I'm sure they'll be fine. It just seemed terribly callous and wasteful. Made me weep