Holly-Weird, or How Can Something So Wrong Get So Right?


Scarlett Johansson, who was pretty much universally panned for her performance with The Jesus & Mary Chain at last year's Coachella (click) is now poised to release her debut album. Wait, it gets weirder.

The album, which is called 'Anywhere I Lay My Head' is an album of Tom Waits cover songs. Let's take a moment to re-visit Ms Johansson's singing ability, courtesy of 'Lost In Translation'. Click. Fine if some strange music execs watched this scene and thought 'Hey, let's get this girl making an album', but how they got the notion that a Tom Waits cover album is the way to go is beyond me. But wait, it get's weirder.

More after the jump.

Strangely enough, the album might actually be pretty good. In a stroke of genius, Dave Sitek of TV On The Radio was hired to produce the album. Things are looking up. Then who jumps on board, but The Thin White Duke himself, David Bowie. Bowie has contributed vocals to more than one track on the album. For further indie-credibility, Nick Zinner of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is also involved, he himself having a track record of successful collaborations (not least the spectacular Bright Eyes album 'Digital Ash In A Digital Urn').

To further send heads spinning, apparently Waits himself has listened to demos of the work-in-progress, and has said he's "very pleased" with the results.

What the hell? Now I Must hear it. Unfortunately, I (and you) must wait til May to see if this pile of lunacy will actually work. I don't know if I want it to or not- think of what it could spawn: Lindsey Lohan sings Neil Young? Paris Hilton re-records Blood On The Tracks??

For those interested, here's the tracklisting:

1. ‘Fawn’
2. ‘Town With No Cheer’
3. ‘Falling Down’
4. ‘Anywhere I Lay My Head’
5. ‘Fannin' Street’
6. ‘Song for Jo’ (original song)
7. ‘Green Grass’
8. ‘I Wish I Was in New Orleans’
9. ‘I Don't Want to Grow Up’
10. ‘No One Knows I'm Gone’
11. ‘Who Are You?’

Stumble Delicious Technorati Twitter Facebook

4 comments:

February 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM red said...

I'm not sure when the album was actually recorded, but I've been hearing about it for over 2 years now. That must post-production must mean it's going to sound amazing...and absolutely awful live. I'm vey curious indeed.

February 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM Evil Bob said...

Very unlike the Mary Chain to do the Celeb duet thingy although I must say that the possibility of hearing Scarlett breathe out Just Like Honey would have given me spasms too (prior to the massacre itself that is).

The Tv on the Radio/Bowie combination doesn't exactly inspire me either. Good music makers that they are but it seems to reek of desperation on whatever company is putting out the album. Either that or Scarletts legs are spreading out to incorporate more than just Ryan Reynolds. I have spoken.

February 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM Clockwork Rob said...

The fact that Bowie is onboard could be because of the TV On The Radio conection- Bowie guested on Return To Cookie Mountain- so it might not just a case of 'shit, get someone good to cover the holes'.

February 14, 2008 at 1:50 PM Evil Bob said...

Covering her holes was pretty much what I was suggesting.

OMG I like so did not just go there.