Gremlins 2 "film break"



This is the alternate fan sequence Sacha Feiner made for the DVD version of the Gremlins 2 "film break" scene.Sacha made it alone, in a two months period, with (computer-enhanced) puppets re-created for this project.

(more info in the read more)

WHAT IS IT?

In the middle of the movie Gremlins 2, there is a sequence where the film seems to break, and where the gremlins invade the projection booth. For the VHS edition in the early 90's, they reshot a special sequence where the VHS tape seemed to be torn apart and in which the gremlins invaded a John Wayne movie. The DVD just kept the original theatrical version.
This is the alternate sequence I made, supposed to replace the theatrical one on the DVD.

HOW IS IT MADE?

The creatures effects are all made with puppets. I made a new mold out of a hard cast of one of the original sculptures from the production. I created a batch of new foam puppets especially for this project. Their performances are enhanced by computer effects, which makes them able to do nearly anything, from running to jumping or facial expressions. The entire shooting takes place in a bluescreen studio, arranged in my basement, in order to superimpose the gremlins in the chosen movies.

WHO AM I ?

Sacha Feiner - I am a movie and animated movie director, special effects creator and sculptor, in Brussels.
I made several short films, documentaries, and cartoons; I also work as a graphist.
In 2007 and 2008, I made an animated series and recut trailers that were played at the BRUSSELS INTERNATIONAL FANTASTIC FILM FESTIVAL (largest genre festival in Europe), before each screening.

WHY THIS PROJECT?

I have been a gremlins fan since I saw the first movie as a kid and it has always been my dream to be part of such a project. I own one of the largest Gremlins collections in the world; tons of merchandising products and several original screen-used props. I am truly passionated with these creatures (and their movies), as well as with special effects. I am lucky enough to be able to afford the whole making of something like this, entirely written, produced and directed by me.

HOW LONG AND HOW MUCH?

The whole production was two months long. It has been finished on 15th july, 2008.
This is a fan, non profit project. I did everything alone, from the filming to the compositing. I only had assistants for the puppeteering. The overall budget, including the purchasing of the original sculpture, the HD and studio equipment, the molding and painting of the puppets and the editing, was about US $3000. This is also an answer to something Joe Dante said in an interview, when the journalist asked why they did not shoot any new alternate sequence for the DVD edition: "I guess there was no budget"! Indeed, the purpose is also to show that it is possible to render a professional, entertaining and well done sequence for... nearly nothing.

Stumble Delicious Technorati Twitter Facebook

0 comments: